Friday, September 12, 2008

Former occupation: rodeo clown

One thing I have learned from my classmates is that they've practically done it all. Sometimes, people will rhetorically say things like, "I was a [occupation], so I know" to end a conversation by claiming expertise. E.g., "When I was a South American dictator, I learned..."

In my experience, I have found that people do this jokingly, and claim ridiculous jobs. In school, I have found that when people say these things, they turn out to be true. Some of the random occupations I've heard bandied about include:

- Cinematographer
- Scuba diving instructor
- Health inspector
- Children's book authoer
- Yoga teacher
- Beverage spokesperson
- Professional basketball player
- Marksmanship instructor at sniper school

You get my drift.

1 comment:

Josh Hohman said...

I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I enjoy your blog, and wish you the best of luck with your MBA experience. I was in your shoes a few years ago, and can tell you that the Stanford GSB was two of the best years of my life (the application process, not so much, but that’s another story…)

Anyway, I know how stressful the application process can be, and since a lot of your readers are in the process of applying to business school, I thought I might be able to help you provide a valuable resource to your loyal readers.

I’d like to send you a copy of my complete applications for 5 top MBA programs (for free, seriously). Then, if you think your readers might like it as well, I’ll provide a link you can post on your blog so your readers can grab their copy as well.

If you're interested, drop me an email at josh.hohman@gmail.com, and I'll have a preview copy of my application materials emailed to you ASAP, so you can check it out and make sure it's something you'd feel comfortable giving away to your readers.

Sincerely,
Josh Hohman