Thursday, May 22, 2008

ease up

If you score > 700, stop. Buy your mom flowers, go for a long walk, eat an ice cream sundae.

700+ is good enough.

There is more to life than test scores. If you re-take the test, the hours you spend cramming could be put to better use. Every year, people with 800s get rejected from top programs. A great test score means you’re great at taking tests.

If you have an undistinguished academic record (low GPA, obscure school), it may be worth spending the time to ace the GMAT. If your academic record is passable, then a high GMAT does indicate academic promise. Coupled with a low GPA, it indicates a smart slacker.

The adcom sees each applicant as a sum of his or her parts. The GMAT is just one part of a complete portrait of you as an applicant. Re-take the test if you want to communicate that you are the kind of person who obsesses over a few points. In other words, you’re the kind of person who focuses on the wrong things.

For the record, I did ask an admissions director about this when I began my application process. I had a >700 score, though a lousy analytical writing score. (I really should have practiced that). I asked if I should retake the test or not. She told me: "Congratulations, that's a great score. Don't bother taking the test again."

It was a load off my shoulders and removed a potential distraction from the process. It gave me more time to focus on my essays, resume, work experience, recommendations, etc.

No comments: